Right now, belts are being tightened across the country. But you don't necessarily have to give up your pay-TV channels or rely on Freeview to save money. That's because with cost-conscious consumers in mind, internet service providers are offering some great broadband and digital TV deals to help cut costs.
A broadband and digital TV bundle allows you to group all your home telecoms services together, so you have one service provider for them all.
Bundling broadband with digital TV and a home phone means that not only are you paying fewer bills, you're also making massive savings on your monthly telecoms costs. By choosing a broadband and digital TV package that also comes with a home phone option, you could save hundreds of pounds per year.
Of course, a TV bundle also allows you to get access to top US drama, live sports coverage, such as the Premier League on BT Sport and Sky and The Ashes, and the latest movies. So you can even cut your outgoings by staying in and enjoying a night in front of the TV.
Important factors when choosing Digital TV & broadband bundles
- Quality of broadband service: speed, download allowance
- Number of channels offered
- Installation cost (if any)
- Set box cost (if any)
- Length of contract
- Additional landline costs
- The TV shows you want to see
Broadband and digital TV deal options:
Different broadband and digital TV packages will provide your digital TV in different ways. You can watch digital TV at home via cable, satellite, IPTV, or just through your TV aerial using a Freeview or digital set-top box.
- Satellite - Satellite TV, as the name suggests, delivers TV into your home via communications satellites. You need a satellite dish and a receiver box in your home for this to work.* Cable - Millions of UK homes can get digital TV through the UK's cable network, which is operated by Virgin Media. Cable TV delivers TV into your home using a network of fibre optic cables.
- IPTV - IPTV delivers TV over your broadband connection. For more information about how IPTV works, see our guide: What is IPTV?.
- Freeview box - Freeview is a free terrestrial digital TV service, accessed using a set-top box.* YouView deals - YouView is an easy to use, subscription free TV service with over 70 digital channels and 7-day catch up on BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and more. YouView boxes come free with BT and TalkTalk bundles.
Broadband and digital TV ISPs
As more and more of us decide to opt for broadband and digital TV bundles, heavy competition is driving providers to offer better and better deals. Most of these ISPs offer broadband with digital TV and a home phone.
Virgin Media broadband and digital TV bundles
Virgin cable offers a huge range of broadband and digital TV bundles that feature options to include a home phone package.
It's important to remember that you can only get Virgin Media's digital TV service if you are in a cabled area. To find out more about cable services and compare all cable deals see our cable broadband page.
Virgin Media's cable broadband and digital TV bundles are made up of different components, which you're free to mix and match.
This means that with a Virgin Media broadband and TV package, you should be able to get exactly the right combination of broadband package, digital TV package and phone package in your bundle.
All Virgin Media broadband products include a free wireless router, unlimited download allowance and PC Guard.
Choose Virgin Media's entry-level broadband package and you can expect a maximum speed of 50Mbps. Or 60Mbps in areas where it has upgraded its network.
Opt for the company's top-end service and you can expect a speed of up to 152Mbps in areas where the network has been enhanced as part of Virgin Media's ongoing upgrade. If you're not in those locations, your maximum speed tops out at 100Mbps.
Virgin Media TV
Virgin Media's TV service offers a massive range of TV standard definition, HD and 3D channels delivered through the cable network. You need a Virgin Media TiVo box or V HD box to receive Virgin Media TV.
V HD Box
- HD and 3D ready
- Movies and music on-demand* Catch-up TV* Parental control settings
- Record three shows while you watch a fourth in rich HD.* Rewind, pause and record live TV and recover deleted shows.
- Choose from 1 Terrabtye or 500MB of storage.
- Search by your favourite actor, director or genre.* Same catch up and on-demand service as V HD box.* Suggest programmes you might like.* Record from your mobile.* Parental control settings.
Virgin Media Talk doesn't require that you pay BT line rental. However, it is worth noting that free calls only last for the first hour of any call.
Virgin TV Anywhere app
Virgin Media's app for iPads, iPhone and Android devices is free to TV customers and allows you watch shows live on your handheld device. You can also use it to
control your TV, record whole series and remotely manage your recordings on your TiVo box.
Sky broadband and digital TV Bundles
Satellite TV from Sky changed the landscape of British broadcasting forever. And now, Sky TV and broadband is among the leading providers of broadband and TV packages.
Sky Broadband comes in three options for Sky's broadband and TV bundles, namely Broadband Lite, Broadband Unlimited and Fibre Unlimited. Lite is free for any customer who also signs up for Sky TV deals.
All Sky packages include a free wireless router worth £50, 12 months free McAfee Internet security suite worth £49.99, and up to 10 sky.com email addresses.
Excellent as Sky broadband is, perhaps the main reason that people take Sky Internet packages is they allow subscribers to bundle them with Sky TV and Broadband deals and save money.
Sky Digital TV offers more than 100 digital entertainment channels, with the option to build a digital TV package tailored to your own viewing preferences.
Dedicated sports-focussed Sky TV deals and movies packages are available that you simply choose to add to your broadband and digital TV bundle.
Sky digital TV is received via satellite and requires the user to have a digital set-top box. Sky TV deals come with three different set-top boxes:
- Sharper images, more vibrant colours and up to 4 times the picture detail of normal TV.* Europe's widest choice of HD programmes across 50 channels.* All the Sky+ features and double the storage capacity of a Sky+ box.* Sky Anytime TV.
Sky+HD 1TB and 2TB boxes
- Choose from massive 1 Terrabyte or 2 Terrabytes of storage.
- All the flexibility of Sky TV on demand.
- Sky 3D for Sky World HD customers with a 3D TV.
- A huge library of Sky TV on demand with Sky Anytime+.
Sky HD Multi-screen box
- Watch HD TV in different rooms around the house.* Sky Go for no extra cost
Sky Talk offers free UK evening and weekend calls to Sky customers. It is worth bearing in mind that you still pay a monthly charge for your BT line rental if you are a Sky Talk customer.
Subscribers to Sky TV offers also benefit from the free Sky Go app. This lets them watch Sky TV shows on their tablet, PC or smartphone for no extra charge.
BT Broadband and digital TV bundles
Most of us have a BT landline at home, and BT has made the most of the bundle revolution by offering great value home broadband and free digital TV bundle deals to go with their home phone packages.
BT Broadband has a host packages available as part of BT Broadband and digital TV packages. You can find out more at our BT provider page
BT's TV service is delivered via a BT Vision box or the YouView set top box. BT Vision offers you all the channels available on Freeview TV with add-on extras that come in 'packs', on-demand movies, streaming services, optional 3D TV and the ability to pause and record live TV.
Perhaps the biggest selling point of BT's TV offering is BT Sport, which has the broadcast rights to live Premier League games.
BT Humax DTR-T1000 YouView box
-Record, pause and rewind live TV.
- All your channels and services in one easy to use interface.
- Store 300 hours of TV in standard definition or 125 hours in HD.
- HD picture for sharper images.
- Dolby 5.1 sound.
BT Vision Vision+ Box
- High Definition (HD) ready box.* Smart Digital TV recorder.* Pause, rewind, replay and record live TV.* Catch up on the last seven days of TV programming.* Optional sports and 3D add-ons.* On-demand movies.* Smaller and sleeker.
Find out more about BT Vision and BT YouView and compare BT TV deals at our dedicated page BT Vision deals
BT home phone line
Adding a BT home phone line to any of these packages is hassle-free with BT, with a range of free call packages to choose from.
TalkTalk uses the same YouView technology as BT to deliver its TV service, with two differently featured boxes on offer depending on the package you sign up for.
Both boxes offer:
- Pause and rewind live TV* On-demand and catch-up TV
However, if you sign for TalkTalk's Plus TV package instead of the entry-level Essentials TV deal, you'll also get the option to record live TV.
Want to add home and/or mobile phone packages to your broadband and digital TV bundle?
To find out more about adding the home phone option to your broadband and digital TV bundle, see our broadband bundles page for more bestselling broadband bundle packages.
Want to keep your broadband and digital TV separate?
Compare all the UK's bestselling home broadband packages here home broadband