Google will not be revealing its new Nexus 5 smartphone at its special October 24th event, it has emerged.
Earlier this month, the search giant sent out invites to the gathering, focused on Google Play, leading tech-watchers to claim that the forthcoming phone would finally get an official airing.
However, a Google spokesperson has told Electronista that won’t happen.
“The October 24 event will not be a launch of a device or hardware, rather a mixer for consumer press to better acquaint themselves with Google Play,” the rep said.
And as it that wasn't equivocal enough, he went to warn that there would be "no news or launch at this event".
Excitement had been building after a similar gathering to look at the latest apps, music and movies on Google Play over the summer saw the launch of Google’s Nexus 7.
Time is running out for Google to reveal its Nexus 5 in October, as had been widely predicted.
Having leaked extensively in recent weeks, with Google itself accidentally listing the device for sale on its Play Store, many believed the phone would go on sale before the month was out.