closedownarrowlogo-verticalmenu-barsearch Skip to main content
Jump to navigation
Connection news

The majority of British consumers are happy with the download speeds they are receiving, based upon the findings of a new study.

Ofcom's latest Consumer Experience report found that consumer satisfaction levels remained unchanged at 80 per cent in 2011.

But in a positive development, fewer consumers experienced slower than expected broadband speeds, with this figure dropping from 35 per cent to 30 per cent.

The proportion of people satisfied with mobile broadband services also increased from 70 per cent to 80 per cent, reports ISPreview.co.uk.

Interestingly, the number of consumers happy with their download capabilities has fallen slightly since 2008 - despite the major advances in broadband technology.

Back in Q1 2008, 49 per cent of Ofcom survey respondents said they were 'very satisfied' and a further 34 per cent were 'fairly satisfied' - giving an overall total of 83 per cent.

Over the last couple of years, maximum download speeds have soared - with many households and businesses now able to take advantage of 100Mb services.

But the study suggests that as speeds have increased, so have customer's expectation levels.

Consumers may have been extremely happy with 2Mb services in 2008, but should they still have the same capabilities in 2011, this may have altered their perception.

Both the public and private sector are working towards raising broadband speeds in the UK, with BT and Virgin Media leading the way.

The two broadband providers are rolling out super-fast broadband across urban Britain, while the government is investing £530 million in rural communications infrastructure.

Under Con-Lib coalition plans, every UK community should have access to a minimum of 2Mb broadband by 2015 at the latest.

Join the conversation

comments powered by Disqus

Stay up to date

  • Google+ Follow uSwitchTech
  • Subscribe to our RSS feed

Latest Comments

  • Patricia.Green.92 23 hours ago Scientists use infra-fed to make... I was paid 104000 bucks past year by doing an on-line task furthermore I was able to do it by w­orking in...
  • Amy.Mercado 1 day ago Sky Q customers to get F1 races... I was paid 104000 dollars last 12 months by doing an online job moreover I was able to do it by w­orking...
  • Jean Hollingsworth 1 day ago EE broadband customers to lose... I have a few years of important emails saved in folders on my fsmail email, do I have to transfer the lot...

Search news