closedownarrowlogo-verticalmenu-barsearch Skip to main content
Jump to navigation
foxtons estate agent

Hyperoptic has urged the property sector to give renters and buyers more accurate information on broadband speeds.

According to a survey by the provider, 34 per cent of consumers would like to know what broadband speeds they would receive at peak times after moving into a home.

Figures also showed that nearly half of renters would not have moved into a property had they known that broadband speeds were poor at peak times.

In addition, almost two-fifths of buyers said they would have been put off a home if they had known about slow connection speeds before moving in.

Hyperoptic has therefore urged the property sector to provide more accurate information to home movers.

Steve Holford, Chief Customer Officer at Hyperoptic, commented: "The average property broadband speed that is given from a property website is basically misleading, since it does not factor in how much a Fibre-to-the-Cabinet broadband service can reduce at peak times.

"It is time that the property sector woke up to the fact that broadband is not just a standard property amenity - it has the power to turn off a prospective renter and buyer altogether."

Mr Holford went on to note that one of the busiest times of the year for moving home is approaching.

However, he said the speed of the market will not be matched by the speed at which they can connect to the internet when they get into a new home.

"Brits want and deserve to know how their broadband will perform at the time they need it most," Mr Holford added.

According to figures from Hyperoptic, 12 per cent of people in the UK are planning to move house in 2017.

Some 37 per cent of these people plan to buy, while the remaining 63 per cent are looking to rent a property.

Join the conversation

comments powered by Disqus

Stay up to date

  • Google+ Follow uSwitchTech
  • Subscribe to our RSS feed

Latest Comments

Search news