Blackbox, also known as telematics or pay-as-you-go, insurance policies involve having a small device fitted to your car and / or using an insurer's app on your smartphone.
On this policy, depending on the insurer, the black box provided tracks things like mileage, speeds travelled, acceleration, braking, cornering and journey times, which allows the insurers to take this into consideration when working out the cost of your premiums. You might also be provided with a free smartphone app to provide daily feedback about your driving.
Features of the Flux Telematics policy (depending on insurer):
- Self-installed box device
- No curfews
- Top-up miles available (if limited mileage policy purchased)
- Daily feedback and renewal discounts quoted if good driving demonstrated (if app required for the policy)
- Fitted box includes vehicle locating capabilities
- Box alerts emergency services in the event of a serious accident