logo-rebrand Skip to main content

Compare flood insurance

Find and compare flood insurance online in just a few minutes

Powered by

How it works

Enter your details

Get personalised quotes in minutes by providing a few home details.

Compare quotes

Find home insurance that's right for you by exploring our best deals.

Apply and save

Start saving money and apply with your chosen provider.

What is flood insurance?

It can be difficult to find a standard home insurance policy to cover you if your home is in a flood risk area or has been damaged by a flood before.

Standard home insurance policies will likely include cover for a certain level of flood damage as standard. Your buildings insurance covers the damage to your home (the bricks and mortar), and your contents insurance covers what’s inside it. But if your home has been flooded before or is at risk, this may not be included. Instead, you might need to find specialist flood insurance.

Flood insurance policies

The right flood insurance policy can cover the cost of replacing items, making repairs and even rebuilding your home. A flood insurance policy will usually cover flood damage caused by nature, such as rain damage or overflowing waterways. Your policy might not cover what is known as ‘escape of water’ flooding. This means flooding caused by a burst pipe or a water main fault. This kind of damage would need to be covered in a different section of your policy, potentially at an extra cost.

Specialist flood insurance or home insurance for flood risk areas, will usually be more expensive than a standard home insurance policy.  However, there should still be affordable policies available that will cover you, even if some suppliers are unable to offer cover.

How to get a quote for flood insurance

A comparison is always the best place to start when looking for home insurance.

If you need specialist flood insurance, providers will likely ask you to fill out a contact form on their website so they can call you to discuss your cover. Other insurers may give you a quote online, but you’ll need to provide a few bits of information about your property. For example:

  • Do you live within 200 metres of any bodies of water such as rivers, streams or canals?

  • If yes, how far from the water is your home (in meters or feet)?

  • How high above the water line is your property?

If your property has been flooded before, you may be asked to provide more details so that the flood insurance provider can give you an accurate quote. These details might include:

  • When your home flooded

  • The structural impact to your property

  • The cause of the flood

  • The depth of the flood water

  • What you have done to guard against future floods

The information you provide will have a big impact on whether or not the insurer can cover you. It will also influence how much you have to pay. Make sure all the information you give is honest and accurate, otherwise you may not be covered when you need it.

You should try to find and compare quotes from as many providers as possible in order to find the best specialist flood insurance cover for you at the best price.

What does specialist flood insurance cover?

Your flood risk insurance should cover you for most issues that may arise from flood damage.

For example, flood insurance can cover:

  • Structural repairs to your property

  • Removing detritus washed into your home

  • Drying out your home

  • Fixing or replacing damaged fixtures and fittings

  • Repairs to your furniture and other belongings, or replacements if necessary

  • The cost of alternative accommodation if you are unable to stay in your home

  • Legal fees or surveyor fees resulting from flooding issues

Not every policy covers all of this as standard, so read the details of your policy carefully to make sure you have the cover you need.

What is Flood Re?

Flood Re is a scheme jointly run by the UK government and insurance companies. It is designed to help people who live in flood risk areas find affordable home insurance.

It’s aim is to stop people living in flood risk areas being forced to pay extortionate premiums for their home insurance.

A collective fund – paid into by every UK insurer – is used to help keep policies cheaper. Insurers are not compelled to offer home insurance for flood risk areas, but the insurers who are part of the scheme can use the fund to offer cover at a more affordable price.

How to find out if you live in a flood risk area

Knowing whether your home is at risk of flooding is a key part of buying home insurance. Learning as much as you can about your home and the likelihood of it being damaged or destroyed will help you put the right insurance policy in place.

To get this information, you can:

  • Commission a professional flood risk assessment and share the findings with prospective insurers

  • Sign up for flood warnings and join flood action groups

  • If you live in England, you could ask the Environment Agency for a free insurance-related request letter. This details planned improvements and previous floods and assessments, and you can show it to your insurer

Home insurance Guides

Death in service cover vs. life insurance

Insuring your home with smart technology

Smart home gadgets are gaining popularity — from home assistants such as Google Home and Amazon Echo to smart thermostats and even light bulbs.

Learn more
Home insurance, terraced houses row of windows

Home insurance: 10 things to do to stay covered - Uswitch

Only 79% of home insurance claims are paid out by insurers. Find out 10 things you must do to stay covered in case you have to claim your insurance.

Learn more
How to Calculate Home Insurance Costs

How to Calculate Home Insurance Costs

Looking to find out how much would home insurance cost for your property? Read our guide and decide how much cover your home needs.

Learn more
Should you pay annually or monthly for your home insurance?

Home insurance annual vs monthly payments

Should you pay annually or monthly for your home insurance? Discover which payment method could work out to be the most cost-effective for you

Learn more
Do I need pet insurance?

Home insurance - Do I need pet insurance?

Pet insurance can give you peace of mind and protection for your pet against unexpected vet bills, illness or accidents. Compare pet insurance policies to find out what works for your family. Our guide also looks at any alternatives that might be available.

Learn more
Home insurance claims for burglaries using keys

Home insurance claims for burglaries using keys

Will your insurance cover you if you are burgled using keys? Read our guide to find out how to protect your home from key burglaries and see if you can make a claim.

Learn more

Compare flood insurance

Compare quotes to cover the event of flooding at your home