Reporting to: Head of Regulation & Compliance
At RVU, we have the best of both worlds: the excitement of a start-up and the strength of well-established, trusted household names.
- uSwitch is the UK’s top comparison website for home services switching helping consumers save money on their gas, electricity, broadband, TV and phone.
- Money is one of the UK’s leading comparison websites for financial services. Consumers can compare loans, credit cards, bank accounts and insurance from more than 600 providers.
- Bankrate is changing the mortgage market. We create innovative and personalised products that help you make smarter decisions. We want to empower you to find a house and get a mortgage without talking to an agent or broker.
Together, we are RVU. Together, we have the power to reach consumers across the UK, and the technology to give them a world class online experience.
We believe in being great people to work with: we are very passionate about our own work, but we think that it’s important to make time to help others with their work - so that the entire team gets better every day. We are entrepreneurial - we believe in challenging the status quo and solving problems our users will face tomorrow. Perhaps most of all, we are inclusive: no matter who we are, where we come from, or which project we work on, we are one team with one dream: improving the lives of our users through awesome experiences.
About the Role
We are looking for a Policy Manager to drive forward RVU’s engagement with Government, Parliament and regulatory authorities; including Ofgem, Ofcom, the CMA and the FCA. You will work across government, competition and regulatory policy with a particular focus on the energy, communications and financial services sectors.
Through our consumer-facing brands (particularly uSwitch), we strive to be passionate and vocal advocates for consumers - empowering households to get a better deal in competitive markets. You will play a critical role in applying this approach to a number of high-profile future policy questions; including the regulation of intermediary consumer businesses, the pricing of essential services, the future of consumer engagement, evolving competitive models with the rollout of new communications infrastructure and the expansion of smart data.
You will work as part of our Regulatory and Compliance team, but gain exposure across all teams in the business on areas of strategic importance. You will also work very closely with RVU’s award-winning PR team to help deliver your objectives and generate public awareness of the positions you develop.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with key stakeholders internally to develop our positions in areas of increasing importance to the business
- Draft consultation responses and letters to government and regulators on matters relevant to our businesses
- Conduct policy research and briefings that put our positions to key influencers in government, regulators and Parliament
- Work with the public relations team to hone calls to action in press and media campaigns
- Conduct stakeholder mapping and horizon scanning, ensuring the business understands upcoming relevant issues
- Develop briefings, speeches and comments for company spokespeople on policy matters for key meetings, events, and media opportunities
- Produce internal updates on regulatory policy and parliamentary developments, including key publications, speeches and decisions
- Build contacts and network with influencers
- Manage the administration of the policy and regulation programme
- Potential opportunity to act as a media spokesperson for uSwitch
What we're looking for in you:
We are looking for someone that is driven to get results and passionate about making markets work better for consumers.
We think this role will be suited to someone with (in no particular order):
- Experience of working in a regulatory policy, policy research or public affairs role (beneficial if in at least one of energy, telecoms or financial services)
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the policy-making process in government and within regulators
- Excellent drafting skills to produce persuasive documents
- Ability to grasp the detail of a wide range of policy issues
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- High political and commercial awareness
- Ability to adapt to change and to work in a fast-paced commercial environment
- Good networking skills
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field, such as Politics, Economics or Law
What we’ll give back to you:
We want to give you a great work environment; contribute back to both your personal and professional development; and give you great benefits to make your time at RVU even more enjoyable. Some of these benefits include:
- A competitive salary and bonus package
- The latest equipment - be it an Apple or Windows laptop
- Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
- Paid parental leave for those key moments in your life
- We have lots of other great benefits within the business, these are just a few of them
- Health insurance
- Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
- In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
- Flexi holiday policy
- Bike to work scheme
- Season ticket loans for those long commutes
- Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
- 1 month full paid paternity leave to spend more time with the kids
- Attractive maternity leave policy
- We also want to help you with your life events, so offer interest free loans for special moments in your life like moving home, buying your first home and your wedding