- British Gas is putting its prices up by 5.5% or £60 for gas and electricity from 29th May
- 4.1 million dual fuel customers’ bills will go up from £1,101 to £1,161 a year – the equivalent of almost £246 million across the country
- British Gas blames rising wholesale gas and electricity costs and Government policy costs
- Its standard tariff will now be £369 more expensive than the cheapest deal on the market
- Energy customers could save up to £491 by switching supplier.
British Gas has announced an increase to the price of its standard dual fuel tariff for both British Gas and Sainsbury’s Energy customers. The increase of 5.5% will add £60 a year to bills. Today’s news will affect over 4.1 million customers, adding a total of almost £246 million per year to household bills.
Commenting on the news, Claire Osborne, uSwitch.com energy expert, says: “This rise is a bolt from the blue for the four million customers on British Gas’ Standard Variable Tariff. While many are still counting the cost after a long and cold winter, they will be wondering whether British Gas have taken the opportunity to use the prepayment price rise as an excuse to increase rates ahead of a potential wider price cap.
“Likewise, British Gas is also raising prices on its new default ‘Temporary Tariff’ by the same amount. With the difference between the two deals a mere £25, it’s important that customers are aware that neither the SVT nor the Temporary Tariff offer anything close to a good deal.
“The danger now is that the rest of the big six may be tempted to follow suit. Customers can send the clearest message that they won’t tolerate being taken for a ride by switching supplier to a cheaper tariff, with savings of up to £491 on offer.”
Find out how you could save over £1,000 a year with uSwitch here.
— ends —
Notes to editors
- £60 x 4,100,000 = £246 million
- Cheapest tariff as of 10 April 2018 is Utility Point at £792. £1,161 – £792 = £369.
- Between 1 April 2017 and 30 Sep 2017, at least 10% of people who switched energy supplier for both gas & electricity with uSwitch saved £491 or more.
Launched in September 2000, uSwitch is an online and telephone price comparison and switching service, helping consumers get a better deal on gas, electricity, broadband, TV services, mobiles and personal finance products including mortgages, credit cards, car and home insurance. Last year we saved UK consumers over £278 million on their energy bills alone.
Customers can sign up to an account that automatically monitors the energy market and notifies them when they can move to a cheaper tariff, while broadband customers can conduct a speed test to find out how fast their broadband is and identify the best deal for their postcode.
The multi award-winning 'Switching Made Simple' app allows customers to compare energy, broadband, credit card, mobile and SIM-only deals – and uSwitch also has a UK contact centre manned by energy and broadband experts. Customers can post their latest energy bills to FREEPOST USWITCH to receive a free call back and be guided through the comparison process, or they can email firstname.lastname@example.org with their postcode and usage details.
uSwitch is owned by ZPG Plc (LSE:ZPG), which operates some of the UK’s most trusted digital brands that help empower smarter property and household decisions including Zoopla, Money, PrimeLocation and SmartNewHomes. uSwitch is the proud sponsor of Britain’s Got Talent 2018.
If you would no longer like to receive our press releases please email email@example.com with 'unsubscribe'.