logo-rebrand Skip to main content

Compare van insurance

Compare van insurance

Learn the basics about insuring your van and see how you could save by comparing van insurance.

Compare van insurance

Search for a range of van insurance quotes and deals with Uswitch and money.co.uk*

Get a quote

If you have a van or commercial vehicle that is in use (i.e. not declared off the road), you’ll need to take out an adequate insurance policy. This is a legal requirement to protect other road users and depending on the level of cover you can claim back costs in the case of an accident too.

Van insurance quotes can vary greatly, depending on how your use your van and how many miles you drive. In order to find cheap van insurance, especially if it is business van insurance, it is a good idea to shop around and compare options. When you choose van insurance, bear in mind that you need to factor in the different levels of van cover as well as the price.

What does van insurance cover?

Just like car insurance, van insurance comes in three different levels - third party only, third party fire and theft, and comprehensive - and this cover level will determine what is covered in your van insurance policy.

When you are looking for van insurance, it may be you need cover for when you use your van for work, or you need a mixture of business and leisure use. If you are looking for business van insurance, commercial van insurance or company van insurance, you will find the quotes will differ from those you will receive if you are just driving your van as a leisure vehicle.

What sort of van insurance do I need?

Third party policy - is the minimum requirement for driving your van on the road. Third party van insurance will cover you for the cost of damage to third party property and injury in the case of an accident. It will not cover any damage to your own van or property.

Third party, fire and theft - the policies are similar to third party, but will also cover you in the case your van is damaged by fire or stolen.

Comprehensive cover - includes all of the above but can also cover the repair or replacement of your van. You can read more about the different levels of insurance in our guide.

Some van insurance policies will come with extras or you can add them for an additional fee. These can include windscreen cover, breakdown cover, replacement van cover and more. All policies and their add-ons will vary, so make sure you research your policy carefully or speak to the insurer before you commit to buy.

Do I need van insurance for my MPV?

The difference between a car and a van may seem clear, but it's not always as simple as you’d think. Sometimes larger family vehicles such as MPVs may be classified as vans.

If you have a camper van or MPV, you might find that you are unable to get a quote on a car insurance comparison tool. If that is the case, it's likely that your vehicle is actually classed as a van or another type of commercial vehicle and so you will need to search for van insurance.

If you're unsure whether you need to insure your vehicle as a car or a van, you can consult your V5C (log book). Vehicles in category M1 are classed as cars, while those in categories N1 and N2 are vans.

What about an insurance policy for fleet drivers of vans?

If you work for a company that uses a number of vans in its fleet, you may need to find pickup insurance, fleet van insurance, courier van insurance, multi van insurance, any driver van insurance.

Depending on your age, you may also need to look for cheap van insurance for young drivers or cheap van insurance for over 25s. The best way to get a good value van insurance policy is to compare prices online and shop around for the best deal.

How much does van insurance cost?

Like car insurance, there is no set price for a van insurance policy. The cost of cover will depend on the type of van, its value, your driving history and how the van will be used.

However, you should bear in mind that many vans will be used much more frequently and cover much more mileage than the average family car and can also carry more high-value equipment. This may mean that your van insurance costs more than insurance for a small runaround car. Thankfully there are specialist van insurers that provide tailored cover for a reasonable price.

What is an excess on a van insurance policy?

Most types of insurance policy, including van insurance, will include an ‘excess’ figure. This is the amount that you will have to pay when you claim on your policy (or the amount that will be taken off any claim that is paid out).

Can I build a no claims discount on my van insurance policy?

Yes, just like on a standard car insurance policy you can build a no claims discount for every year you hold a policy without making a claim.

What is the best way to find cheap van insurance?

The best way to shop around for commercial van insurance is to compare quotes. By using our comparison tool, you can get van insurance quotes from the UK's leading insurance providers and brokers and find a list of van insurance policies to suit you.

You will need to have:

  • Your van details and registration number
  • Details of any claims or convictions
  • Your estimated annual mileage
  • Driving licence details for all drivers

How do I go about finding the best commercial van insurance for me?

First of all, you can complete our online van insurance quote form. You will need to give some details in order for us to provide the best quote. These include:

  • Some personal details, including your name, address and occupation
  • Your policy requirements
  • Your driving licence details
  • Your driving history
  • Details of your business
  • Details of your van, including model, year of purchase, usage and any security devices that have been fitted

The information you provide will help us create a list of the most relevant van insurance options for you. It's important to answer all the questions honestly. If you don't, your van insurance provider may refuse any claim you make on your policy.

Then you will get the results, where you will see a list of insurers and you can pick a plan that suits you. Based on the information you provide, you then have a list of van insurance providers with quotes for the annual premium, first and monthly payments and details of any special offers.

You will be able to refine the results, find out more about the individual van insurance providers and buy your van insurance online or over the phone. You may be asked some more questions before your van insurance quote is accepted.

What happens after I have bought my van insurance online?

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions.

  • Is Uswitch my van insurance provider? No - Uswitch isn't a van insurer or underwriter. We simply help you to compare and get van insurance quotes from the UK's leading insurers and brokers so it's easy for you to decide on the best van insurance policy for you.
  • How do I know what I'm covered for? Your insurer will send you a policy document, either online or by post. This provides full details of the cover you've paid for.
  • What if I want to cancel my van insurance policy? You have a cooling-off period of 14 days. Contact the insurer within that time for a full refund.
  • How do I make a claim? The policy document from your van insurance provider will include contact details for making a claim.

Make sure you keep all your van insurance documentation safe, in case you need to make a claim at a later date.

Compare van insurance

Search for a range of van insurance quotes and deals with Uswitch and money.co.uk*

Get a quote

The van insurance comparison service is provided by money.co.uk, which is a trading name of Dot Zinc Limited, registered in England (4093922) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (415689). Registered address: The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London, England, SE1 2LH. By using this system you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Share this article