Skip to main content
Jump to navigation
fox news

Sky has stopped broadcasting Fox News in the UK. The channel was dropped because of low viewing figures, according to Sky.

A Sky spokesperson said: "Fox News is focussed on the US market and designed for a US audience and, accordingly, it averages only a few thousand viewers across a day in the UK. We have concluded it is not in our commercial interest to continue providing Fox News in the UK.

The channel is a favourite of US president Donald Trump, and is known for its sensationalist reporting. It has recently suffered a string of sexual harassment scandals involving late founder Roger Ailes, and hosts Eric Bolling and Bill O'Reilly.

Fox News is owned by 21st Century Fox, which also owns a 39 per cent stake in Sky Plc. Both firms are owned by Rupert Murdoch, who last year offered £11.7 billion for the remaining 61 per cent stake in Sky that 21st Century Fox doesn't already own.

Some media watchesr say canning Fox News in the UK is part of Murdoch's plan to take complete control of Sky. In the past, the channel has repeatedly breached its licence and fallen foul of regulator Ofcom's code of conduct.

UK culture secretary Karen Bradley is currently deciding whether to ask the competition regulator to investigate Sky's adherence to UK broadcasting standards. Hence dropping Fox News could be Murdoch's way of trying to convince Bradley that Sky plays by the rules.

Source: The Guardian

Join the conversation

comments powered by Disqus

Stay up to date

  • Google+ Follow uSwitchTech
  • Subscribe to our RSS feed

Latest comments

  • Dave Beck 9 months ago EU portability streaming law:... Netflix already provide a service if the country has a Netflix service. My UK Netflix account works for US...
  • Robert KołOdziej 9 months ago EU portability streaming law:... Netflix, for example, detects and blocks VPN. Tried it and failed just before Easter when we were abroad....
  • Vorteilspack 9 months ago Is Netflix making its own news... Oh no! Whoever told Netflix to do that did a good job sucking up money for something the world doesn't...

Search news