logo-rebrandphone Skip to main content

How do I make a travel insurance claim?

Nothing can adequately compensate for a journey that doesn't go according to plan. However, making a travel insurance claim can go some way recovering the cost of holiday, disasters and emergency situations.

Share this guide
How do I make a travel insurance claim?How do I make a travel insurance claim?

It's important to note, following the coronavirus outbreak, travel insurance policies have changed. If you bought your insurance policy before the coronavirus outbreak, you may still be covered for disruption or cancellation of your holiday flight or package. 

Compare travel insurance quotes

Search for annual or single trip travel insurance with Uswitch and theIdol.com*

It's best to book travel insurance as soon as you book your holiday. This way you are covered even before you jet off, incase your holiday needs to be cancelled or there are flight delays. Leaving it to the last minute could be a costly risk and expense.

Useful things to remember before you set off include:

  • Take a copy of your insurance documents with you.

  • Keep copies of the receipts for valuable items that you may be taking with you.

  • Make sure you use secure padlocks for your suitcases.

These FAQs can help you work out what to do when things go wrong, and you need to do to make an insurance claim.

When do I need to contact my insurer?

If you need to claim for medical services and treatment you will need to contact your insurer immediately to get authorisation for the treatment.

It's important to contact your insurer as soon as you can, as some insurers insist that you let them know about your intention to claim within a time limit. Many travel insurers have an international helpline.

So it might be useful to save their number in your phone as soon as possible, or keeping a copy in your passport.

What will the insurer do first?

The insurer will send you a claim form, which you will need to fill in and send back.

What do I need to send the insurer?

The insurer will usually need to see receipts for lost or damaged items and your claim form.

The insurer may also want to see a police report. In the event of a flight being cancelled, you may need written confirmation from the airline.

What can I claim for?

You need to check the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy to be aware of what you’re covered for. If you've taken expensive items with you, then you should try to keep a copy of the receipt with you.

Some insurers allow you to add your child or spouse to your policy, so make sure you add them to your policy if you're able to prior to travelling.

Do I need to inform the police?

If you lose an item, or if something is stolen many insurers insist that you get a police report within 24 hours of the incident.

It's always important to know the number for the emergency services, for whichever country you're travelling to.

How much can I claim?

You need to check your travel insurance policy for the details of how much you can claim. Every policy is different, and there may be an upper limit on how much you can claim. There is often an upper limit for individual items.

There may also be an excess amount, which you might have to pay in advance, or will be deducted from your payout. This information should be in your policy.

What do I need to remember?

Make sure you keep a copy of your claim form once you've filled it in. You should also keep copies of the relevant receipts. This is particularly important if you're still travelling, as you might need the originals to continue travelling.

Don't assume all travel insurance policies are the same. If you've changed to a different insurance company, be sure you know what your policy covers, and the terms and conditions.

Be truthful when applying for insurance, as misinformation could greatly impact your travel insurance claim.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you can still get a quote. These conditions could include cancer, stroke, serious heart, respiratory and terminal conditions.

Some insurers might not cover you if you already have a serious medical condition, or if you have a number of conditions. Others might only offer insurance at a much higher price. If you're unable to find suitable cover, the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) has also set up a directory of insurers willing to cover customers with pre-existing medical conditions.

You can contact the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) or you can telephone 0800 138 7777.

*To help you compare travel insurance policies and find the right cover for your requirements, Uswitch has selected theIdol.com to provide you with quotes. Quotations are provided by theIdol.com on a non-advised basis. This means that no advice is given or implied and you are solely responsible for deciding whether the policy is suitable for your needs. theIdol.com is a trading name of Investment Discounts Online Ltd and is registered in England and Wales, registration number 04231834. Registered address One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 197451. Investment Discounts On-Line Ltd is part of the Legal & General Group. This can be confirmed at http://www.fca.org.uk/. View theIdol.com's Our Services DocumentPrivacy policy and Terms & Conditions.