Skip to main content

Temporary learner driver insurance

Learn about temporary learner driver insurance as an alternative to insuring a provisional driver on a friend’s or family member’s policy

Get learner driver insurance

Compare learner driver insurance policies with our partner*

Get a quote

Temporary learner driver insurance

While most people learn to drive with an approved driving instructor, many choose to supplement their lessons with independent practice in a friend’s or family member’s car. It can also help you to save money on lessons — many experts recommend 47 hours’ driving practice, with professional lessons costing an average of £24 per hour. If you are able to get some practice in a friend’s car you may be able to reduce the number of professional lessons needed, gaining valuable real-life driving experience as well as saving money on tuition.

But of course to take to the road, every driver needs to be covered by an adequate insurance policy. You don’t need to buy learner driver insurance to take lessons in an approved driving instructor’s car, as your cover will be included in the cost of your lessons. However, if you want to practice in a friend’s or family member’s car, you will need to arrange your own insurance.

Some learner drivers choose to be added as a named driver on someone else’s policy, commonly a parent’s, but this is not always the cheapest option. This can also put the policyholder’s no claims bonus at risk, as they will need to claim on their policy if the learner driver is involved in an accident in their car. You can read more about this option in our guide on provisional driver insurance.

Benefits of temporary learner driver insurance

Taking out learner driver insurance is a great alternative as it’s completely separate from the main driver’s policy. That means if you have an accident, it will not affect their policy and they won’t lose their no claims bonus. If you do have an accident you claim through your temporary insurance company who will arrange any repairs or payouts required. But note that if you do have to make a claim on a temporary learner driver insurance policy, you will need to declare this to insurers in the future, which may make it difficult to get a cheap quote.

While learner drivers will be accepted by some standard temporary insurance providers, there is also specialist temporary insurance just for provisional drivers. This typically covers you for longer than a standard temporary insurance policy — many allow you to choose cover for 30, 60 or 90 days. You can take out a policy to take you up to the day of your driving test so you can get as much private practice as possible with an experienced driver. If you don’t pass your test and need more practice in your friend’s or family member’s car, you can simply take out another short-term policy.

Remember that if you’re borrowing someone’s car, you can’t drive on your own until you have your full licence. You need to be accompanied by someone over the age of 21 (or 25 in order to be covered by some insurers) who has had their licence for three years or more. You’ll also need to display L plates on the front and back of the car, and avoid driving on motorways.

Learner driver insurance

What does temporary learner driver insurance cover?

Most temporary insurance policies for learner drivers offer comprehensive cover. This means that in the case of an accident your insurer will pay out for damage to the car you are driving, not just for other vehicles involved (which is the case in third party cover).

Temporary learner driver insurance policies are usually limited to cars up to a certain value — usually £30,000 or in insurance group 30. You may find it difficult to get temporary insurance cover for a modified car or if you have previously made a claim on a car insurance policy (such as a previous temporary policy).

How much does temporary learner driver insurance cost?

Taking out a learner driver insurance policy can be an affordable alternative to being added to a friend’s or family member’s policy. The cost of your cover will depend on your postcode and how long you want to be covered for, but it can cost less than £2 per day with a specialist provider.

Like a standard car insurance policy, you’ll have to pay an excess if you do need to make a claim, which is usually set at £250 for learner drivers.

To purchase a temporary learner driver insurance policy you’ll need to know the car’s registration number (or details of make and model if you don’t know this), details of your licence and driving history, and personal details including your name and address.

Get learner driver insurance

Compare learner driver insurance policies with our partner*

Get a quote

Read more…

The learner driver insurance comparison service is provided by, which is a trading name of Dot Zinc Limited, registered in England (4093922) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (415689). Registered address: The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London, England, SE1 2LH. By using this system you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.