Your cookie preferences

We use cookies and similar technologies. You can use the settings below to accept all cookies (which we recommend to give you the best experience) or to enable specific categories of cookies as explained below. Find out more by reading our Cookie Policy.

Select cookie preferences

Skip to main content

Can I switch energy supplier if I have solar panels?

Want to install solar panels, but worried it might tie you to a single energy supplier? Find out why you shouldn't worry.
Share this guide
Family looking at their low carbon solar panels

NB: The Feed in Tariff scheme was closed to new applicants on 31 March 2019, but if you already receive payments these will continue until the end of the initial 20-year period.

If you decide to find a better deal on your gas and electricity don't let the fact you have solar panels put you off.

Although in most cases your current energy supplier also pays your Feed-in Tariff, this doesn't mean you can't switch to a new gas and electricity provider.

Why? Simply because Feed-in Tariffs are a type of subsidy paid out by most of the country’s energy suppliers, so whichever company you sign up with initially (your Feed-in Tariff licensee) must continue to pay you your rate.

If you want to, you can even change which supplier purchases your excess electricity.

Do all suppliers pay Feed-in Tariffs?

Some suppliers have mandatory requirements to pay Feed-In Tariffs: British Gas, Bulb, EDF Energy, E.ON, Octopus, OVO, ScottishPower, Shell, So Energy, Utilita and Utility Warehouse. Although they are not legally obliged to, other UK energy suppliers do the same. You can find a full list here.

Do bear in mind that the rates paid to you for your electricity are universal and set by Ofgem, so you won’t get a better feed in tariff rate by changing your supplier.

Why install solar panels?

There are several reasons why someone might decide to install solar panels. Not only do solar panels represent an environmentally-friendly way to produce electricity, but thanks to the Feed-in Tariff, you will be paid for any excess electricity you produce.

What this means is that if the electricity produced by your solar panels exceeds what you’re using at any given moment, the excess will be sold to an energy supplier of your choice. Typically this will be the same company which provides your energy, but there’s no reason you can’t pick another supplier to sell the excess to.

Read more:

Where does my household electricity and gas come from? - Uswitch

Energy is generated in a number of ways. Discover where, what and how your home energy is created? Find out what your current energy supplier's fuel mix is.

Learn more

Tenants’ guide to switching energy and electricity supplier - Uswitch

Discover if you can or cannot compare and switch energy providers without your landlord’s permission. More than three-quarters of UK renters are missing out of hundreds of pounds worth of energy savings by not comparing and switching their energy supplier.

Learn more

Switching to a small energy supplier – Uswitch

Smaller energy suppliers make up a significant part of the UK energy market. As more people leave the big six energy suppliers, should you also switch to a smaller energy provider? Our guide answers all your small supplier questions.

Learn more