logo-rebrand Skip to main content

Unoccupied property and empty building insurance

Unoccupied property and empty building insurance

What is unoccupied property insurance? Learn more about how your home insurance policy can be affected if you're not always at home and why you need unoccupied house insurance.

Homeowners may have a variety of reasons for not always being at home or living in their property, but an unoccupied property can impact the type of cover you receive.

Read our guide to learn more about unoccupied property insurance and the general features of non-standard home insurance, or get a quote using the link below.

What property is unoccupied house insurance for?

Officially your home should not go unoccupied for longer than 30 days. After 30 days, your home will be an "unoccupied property", which, should you need to make a claim, could void your policy, unless it covered this eventuality.

However, most standard home insurance policies will state that your property should not be empty for longer than at least 30 days.

Whether you use your property as a holiday home or it's awaiting sale, or for any other reason that could leave it unoccupied for longer than 30 days, you may wish to consider taking out a non-standard home insurance policy, which can cover your unoccupied property.

What is unoccupied home insurance?

Unoccupied home insurance is a term used to identify one of the many features of non-standard home insurance.

Generally, standard insurance policies do not cover you against some circumstances as this has the potential to increase their risk.

unoccupied home

A specific policy, which includes unoccupied property insurance with a non-standard home insurance policy, will factor this in.

An unoccupied home by nature is a non-standard risk, as generally homes are usually occupied.

The extra risk of insuring an unoccupied property is that it may be more vulnerable to burglary, but there are also other possible elements of danger that may not otherwise be as prominent if someone was home and looking after the home.

Non-standard home insurance

The knowledge and experience of a non-standard home insurance provider should help them understand your specific home insurance requirements better than a regular insurance provider.

As a result, in theory, you should get a cheaper home insurance quote than if you took out a standard policy.

Non-standard home insurance risks include anything that you may not consider to be common with a home.

This includes a range of factors such as a home being unoccupied for longer than 30 days or if a large proportion of the property was built with non-standard materials such as wood, glass or metal.

Read our full guide to non-standard home insurance to learn more or use the link below to start comparing quotes.

Read more …

Share this article