Skip to main content

Getting an energy refund

Are you in credit to your energy supplier? Have you switched but not received a refund from your previous gas and electricity provider? This guide will help you take control of your energy bill. According to Uswitch research released in 2019, around 12 million of Britain’s households are in credit to their energy suppliers to the tune of £1.5 billion collectively — with one in 10 having over £200 to reclaim.
Share this guide
Energy refund

Reclaiming this credit is easier than ever before, now that energy regulator Ofgem has implemented rules forcing suppliers to reimburse you if you ask - unless there is a good reason not to do so.

This guide will explain how to find out if you’re in credit to your energy supplier, how to get your energy credit refunded and how to make sure your bills are accurate in future. We will also consider how to get back any credit owed by a previous supplier. If you do decide to contact your current supplier to ask for a refund, it is important to note that you need to provide an up-to-date meter reading and discuss your current situation with them. A meter reading from a few months ago won't do.

How can I find out if I’m in credit to my energy supplier?

If you manage your bills online it should be as easy as logging in to check your current account balance. If you don’t, then simply take a look at your latest energy bill. The bill should tell you how much you are in debit or credit to your gas and electricity supplier.

It’s worth noting that British Gas and ScottishPower refund customer credit automatically. They will automatically return credit over £75 every 12 months, from the anniversary of the date you took out your direct debit. However, research has shown that automatic refunds still aren’t the norm for suppliers in general, as over half of bill payers are having to chase their supplier for a refund instead of receiving them automatically.

Why am I in credit? Is my supplier taking too much from my direct debit?

Energy bills, and in particular direct debits, are estimated based on your previous consumption. That means they may be some way off your actual gas and electricity consumption.

For example, if you have a child who left for university, but ran an energy price comparison before they left home, your consumption for the following year will be estimated on figures which included your child's consumption. With them out of the house, you will in fact be using less energy and will be overpaying on your direct debit.

Don’t worry about losing out on savings, though. If your direct debit is too high, all you need to do is claim back what you’ve overpaid. You can find out more about paying by direct debit here.

How much could I be owed?

The amount of money you could be in credit by depends on how much you’ve overpaid by. Factors which will influence the total sum you’re entitled to could include a mild winter or long summer. In both these scenarios you may have used less energy to heat your home than you were expected to.

Should I get a refund?

Ordinarily, it would make sense to get a refund from your energy supplier if you're eligible for one. However, with energy prices extremely high as of 2023, it could be worth keeping any credit you have in your energy account to help cover these higher prices if needed.

How can I get an energy refund from my current supplier?

Just ask. If you know you’re in credit and you want the money back, then get in touch with your supplier and ask for a refund. We’ve listed the phone numbers of some suppliers to call below.

A word of warning, though: even if you are in credit, it’s a good idea to discuss your balance with your supplier before asking to be refunded. Your direct debit should have been worked out to cover your expenditure over the year, so although you might be overspending in summer, this should even out in winter. Be wary of asking for a refund of any credit meant to cover your additional winter expenditure.

You should also make sure your credit balance is up to date - even a meter reading issued the previous month should be considered out of date if you want to claim a refund. However, if you find yourself more than one month in credit, it’s usually safe to ask for your money back.

How can I get a refund from my previous energy supplier?

If you were in credit when you switched, it’s possible that your previous energy supplier still has some money that belongs to you.

Energy suppliers are supposed to give back any money you are in credit by when you switch to another provider, but over the years many have failed to do so. If you think this might be the case, then check your bank statements, direct debits or energy bills, or just give them a call on one of the numbers listed below:

SupplierPhone numberEmail addressChatbot?WhatsAppText
Boost0330 102 7517 Monday to Friday - 8am-6pm Saturday - 9am-2pmNYNN
British Gas0330 100 0056 Monday to Friday - 9am-5pmNYNN
Bulb0300 30 30 635 Monday to Friday - 9am-5pmY (fill in form)YNN
Co-op Energy0808 164 1088NNNN
EDF0333 200 5100 0800 096 2929 text telephone for those with hearing difficulties Weekdays - 8am-6pm Saturday - 8am-2pmNY07480 802 942 Weekdays - 7am-11pm Weekends - 8am-8pm07481 341 928 Weekdays - 7am-11pm Weekends - 8am-8pm
E.ON Next0808 501 5200 0808 501 5200 text telephone for those with hearing difficulties Monday to Thursday - 9am-5pm Friday - 9am-4pmhi@eonnext.comY0808 501 5200N
Good Energy0345 034 2400 Monday to Friday -
M&S Energy08081 697 822 Monday to Thursday - 9am-5pm Friday - 9am-4pmhello@mandsenergy.comNNN
Octopus0808 164 1088 Monday to Thursday - 9am-5pm Friday - 9am-4pmhello@octopus.energyNNN
OVO0330 303 5063 Monday to Friday - 9am-5pmNNNN
ScottishPower0345 270 0700 Monday to Friday - 9am-5pmNYNN
Shell Energy0330 094 5800 Monday to Friday - 8am-6.30pm Saturday - 9am-4pmY (fill in form)YNN
So Energy0330 111 5050 Monday to Friday - 9am-5pmhelp@so.energyNNN
SSE0345 070 7373 Credit customers: Monday to Friday - 8am-6pm Saturday - 8am-2pm PAYG customers: Monday to Friday - 8am-8pm Saturday - 8am-6pm Sunday - 9am to 5pmNY07537 186570N
Utility Warehouse0333 777 0777 Monday to Friday - 8am-7.45pm Saturday - 9am-4.30pm Bank holidays - 10am-4pmY (fill in form)NNN

What if my supplier refuses to refund me?

If your supplier refuses to refund you and you don't agree with the reasons given, you can raise the issue with the Energy Ombudsman.

What can I do to make sure my bills are as accurate as possible?

To avoid being in a situation where you are over or underspending on energy, do your best to provide regular meter readings to your energy supplier. At Uswitch we recommend doing this at least once every three months.

How can I make my energy bills lower?

There are plenty of ways to save energy and cut down your bill. Here at Uswitch we’ve put together a number of guides to help you do just that. In addition, if you want to optimise your energy consumption, consider getting hold of a smart thermostat. These thermostats help you figure out exactly how much energy you consume, as well as control your heating from a distance. Some smart thermostats will even learn your behaviour and run your heating accordingly.

Finally, run a quick energy price comparison. The energy market is always changing and new plans come along on a weekly basis, so it’s always a good idea to check that you’re on the best tariff.

Read more:

couple looking disappointed at their energy bill

Energy back billing errors - deal with an unexpected bill

Understand how to deal with energy supplier back billing. Discover your rights as a consumer and what you can do if you receive an unexpected energy bill.

Learn more
man looking at his energy bill

Consumer rights for energy customers

What are your rights as an energy consumer? Can your supplier raise its prices? Have you been mis-sold an energy plan? All this and more in our guide

Learn more
woman at home paying her bills looking concerned at her laptop

Get help paying your energy bills

Get help paying your energy bills. Options for those struggling - find out if you are eligible for an energy grant or a rebate on your energy bills.

Learn more