Your cookie preferences

We use cookies and similar technologies. You can use the settings below to accept all cookies (which we recommend to give you the best experience) or to enable specific categories of cookies as explained below. Find out more by reading our Cookie Policy.

Select cookie preferences

Skip to main content

Compare buildings insurance

Find and compare buildings insurance online in just a few minutes


Author Ben Gallizzi Last updated April 18th 2024

What is building insurance?

A building insurance policy protects you by covering the cost of repairing or even rebuilding your home if your home is damaged or destroyed. It includes cover for your home’s structural elements such as your roof, walls, permanent fixtures in your kitchen or bathroom as well as additional structures such as a garage or shed. 

Do I need building insurance?

If you own a property, whether it is a house, flat or another type of building, you will need to insure it against the cost of repairing damage from fire, flood or subsidence, and the cost of rebuilding should it be destroyed.

Typically, you’ll need to get building insurance if you:

  • Have a mortgage: Most lenders require you to get building insurance for the duration of the term of your mortgage.

  • Are a landlord: If you rent out a property that you own, it’s your responsibility to carry out any repairs due to damage to the building. These can be expensive, so a building insurance policy can protect you from having to pay out-of-pocket. 

  • Own your home outright: In instances where you own a property, but don’t have a mortgage, while you’re not legally required to take out a building insurance policy, it may still be a good idea.

What does building insurance cover?

Building insurance will typically cover any repair or rebuilding costs in the event that your home is damaged or destroyed by:

  • Fire

  • Severe weather such as storms or flooding

  • Subsidence

  • Vandalism

  • Vehicle collisions

  • Water damage 

  • Temporary accommodation during repairs

How much does building insurance cost?

What you pay for your building insurance depends on several factors:

  • Your claims history: You’ll likely be charged a higher premium if you have a history of making several claims on your home insurance

  • Your address: The location of your home is an important part of how much you pay for building insurance. If you live in an area that is more prone to flooding, for example, you’ll pay more. 

  • Building materials: Homemade using a lot of wood will likely cost more to insure that there is a higher risk of fire. 

  • Security features: Adding security features such as burglar alarms and surveillance cameras can help cut down your premiums.

  • Your level of cover: If the cost to rebuild your home is higher due to expensive materials or non-standard construction you may have to pay more for building insurance. 

How can I cut the cost of building insurance?

Here are some simple ways to pay less for your building insurance:

  • Get an accurate rebuild estimate: By using a surveyor to get a precise figure on the rebuild cost of your home, you can make sure you don’t pay any more than you have to.

  • Pay annually: When you pay for your insurance in monthly instalments, you also end up being charged interest. You can save money by paying for your building insurance policy with an annual lump-sum payment.

  • Pay a higher excess: Typically, the higher the excess you pay, the lower your premiums will be, but make sure that you can afford to pay the excess.

  • Avoid auto-renewals: If your policy is nearing its full term, shop around to see if you can get a better deal. If you do find a deal you like, you can also speak to your current insurer and ask them to match or beat the deal you’ve found elsewhere.

  • Hold on to your no claims discount: Try to avoid claiming on your building insurance for smaller repairs that you may be able to afford.

  • Install security features: Adding security features like burglar alarms, or smoke alarms can help bring down the cost of building insurance.

How do I find the best building insurance?

man smiling at his laptop at home

There are many companies offering cheap building insurance, although your decision on which buildings insurance policy to buy should not be based on price alone.

You can find the best deal on building insurance by shopping around to compare costs and cover by using the Uswitch online home insurance comparison tool. We will look at buildings insurance deals across the market and help you narrow down what cover you need and how much you need to insure your home.

What is the difference between building insurance and contents insurance?

Building insurance and content insurance are two parts of what is generally referred to as home insurance. 

The main difference is that while building insurance covers anything that is part of the physical structure of your home, contents insurance covers your possessions inside it such as furniture, appliances and jewellery. 

Find out more about the different types of home insurance here

Should I get building insurance?

Housing repairs can be costly, so building insurance can give you peace of mind that if anything should happen, you won’t be hit with an unexpected expense. 

Damage caused by fire, flood or storm can be extremely costly to set right and run into tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of pounds. By taking out an annual or monthly building insurance policy for a couple of hundred pounds, you know you will be covered for the rebuild or repair costs.

What type of damage is covered in my building insurance policy?

Different people may need different types of cover depending on where they live and what kind of property they have. For example, if you live in a wooded area, falling tree cover might be something you need. Or if you live in an area prone to flooding, then you’ll want to make sure you’re covered for that. 

If you live close to a river you may find that your insurer imposes specialist terms, such as extra protection in the form of a flood gate or barrier around your property. You may also find that some forms of damage are excluded, or that the excess (the amount you pay before the payout kicks in) is higher. Check your policy details to see what you are covered for before you agree to the insurance contract.

Can I get temporary accommodation to live in under my insurance policy?

If your house is severely damaged and uninhabitable while it’s repaired, you could be covered for the cost of getting temporary accommodation while the repairs are carried out. There are usually limits to how much cover you get, so make sure you know how much you’re covered for. 

Does building insurance carry a no claims discount?

A no claims discount (NCD) is a familiar item in motor insurance. It is a discount you get for not having made a claim over a given period of time, usually 12 months. This can result in your insurance provider rewarding you with a lower premium, though it is not guaranteed because your premium is based on other factors as well. 

Some building insurance companies include an NCD within their policy terms – while others do not.

Find out more about how No claims discounts work with home insurance

What is a compulsory excess on building insurance?

The excess is the minimum amount you have to pay when you make a claim on your building insurance policy. In some cases, you can also agree to pay an additional voluntary excess, which helps lower your monthly premiums but means that your overall payout will be slightly lower. 

How do I calculate the rebuild cost of my home?

You can hire a professional surveyor to calculate the cost of rebuilding your home. 

Although this will cost you, it may be worth it to get an accurate estimate that helps ensure that you don’t pay more for building insurance than you must. 

Is there a difference between the rebuild cost and market value of my home?

Yes. The rebuild cost of your home is limited to any costs, such as materials and labour costs, incurred to physically reconstruct your home from scratch if it were destroyed.  It is commonly known as the ‘buildings sum insured’.

The market value of your home also includes the value of the land it is constructed on, as well as any value it derives from its location such as proximity to schools, commercial areas, parks or public transport. 

Find home insurance cover that’s right for you

While standard home insurance work for most people, there are also specialised home insurance policies that might be more suited to your needs.

Could you get a better deal on your building insurance?

Our home insurance comparison service is free and simple – and could save you money when you compare and switch.

Home insurance guides

coloured doors

Does home insurance cover DIY and building work?

DIY can be a great money-saving way of fixing up your property — but will your home insurance cover you if you take home improvements into your own hands?

Learn more

Gadget Insurance: Holiday Cover for Your Devices

Low limits on travel insurance may mean your gadgets are not covered unless you take out a standalone policy

Learn more
coloured doors

How much home insurance do you need?

Our guide can help you to determine how much home insurance you need. The type of policy and cover that's best for you will depend on your specific needs.

Learn more

Flood Risk Insurance: What is the Flood Re Scheme?

The Flood Re scheme could help to make home insurance more accessible and affordable for up to 350,000 homes in flood-risk areas. Our guide explains more.

Learn more
Storm damage insurance cover

Storm, Wind, Rain and Weather Damage Insurance

Has your home been damaged by extreme weather? Read our home insurance guide and find out how to claim for storm damage to your building or possessions.

Learn more
coloured doors

Seven steps to cheap home insurance

Finding discount home insurance may require luck but there are genuine steps you can take to find cheap home insurance policies.

Learn more

Home Insurance comparison is powered by which is a trading name of Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered office; Greyfriars House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AL, registered in England and Wales 03857130. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites. By using this system you are also agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Uswitch is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you decide to buy through us.