Prepaid mobile broadband is also known as pay-as-you-go mobile broadband, and it works on exactly the same principle as PAYG mobile phones.
Rather than locking into mobile broadband on a contract of a year or more, you can instead buy one-month deals that give you a set amount of usage for the period.
Alternatively, you can go the true PAYG route and, after buying a dongle, add monthly credit to your USB dongle. As you surf, you use this up until your allowance eventually runs out, either because you've hit your download allowance or the data pack has expired.
Charges are usually per GB downloaded, and once your credit has run out, you will still have enough connectivity to make another top-up.
Check out monthly contracts or PAYG mobile broadband deals at uSwitch now.
Contract vs PAYG mobile broadband
Pay as you go mobile broadband
- No long-term contracts to tie you down
- You can shop around to find the best provider for you
- Mobile broadband dongles incur a one-off charge
- Perfect for users who just check e-mail, Facebook or YouTube.
- Unsuitable for gamers, heavy downloaders, or those who like internet TV
Contract mobile broadband
- Cheaper packages
- Mobile broadband dongles are free on some packages
- Greater variety in terms of payment and usage options to choose from
Unsure whether you want PAYG or contract mobile broadband? Compare all of our mobile broadband deals at uSwitch now.