Your cookie preferences

We use cookies and similar technologies. You can use the settings below to accept all cookies (which we recommend to give you the best experience) or to enable specific categories of cookies as explained below. Find out more by reading our Cookie Policy.

Select cookie preferences

Skip to main content

Customisable business insurance

Hassle-free claims and UK-based customer support from £4.67* a month.
Powered by
*10% of Superscript customers paid £4.67 a month or less between October – December 2023 for their public liability insurance.

What is business insurance?

Female cafe owner 768 x 845

Business insurance is a term describing a policy made up of different types of cover, each designed to provide protection from different business risks.

With the adequate and appropriate covers it can be one way to safeguard your company, its directors, customers and employees from the costs associated with a claim against you. For example, your business contents or business equipment insurance would cover the costs of a successful claim where you have been the victim of theft by forcible or violent means, or damage.

Business insurance could also include covers designed to safeguard you and your business from personal injury claims from members of the public, your employees being injured at work or claims against your business for negligence or a fault.

The extent of the policy depends on the level, or number, of types of covers that make up your business insurance.

Having business insurance gives you the peace of mind that you are covered should the worst happen.

How it works

Enter your details

Enter your details Tell us a bit about your business – such as name, industry and turnover.

Compare covers

See how much different types of insurance would cost you.

Apply or save

Start your policy straight away, or save your personalised quote for 30 days.

What business insurance do you need?

Regarding whether you need business insurance, you might consider a number of different factors – one of which being what impact an uninsured claim would have on you and your business.

Business insurance requirements will likely depend on the needs of your company and the type of work you do. You might also think about these things when choosing business insurance:

Is business insurance a legal requirement? Business insurance is not usually a legal requirement for every business, although it does have its exceptions. Typically, if you hire staff, you may be legally obliged to have business insurance with employers’ liability cover. Not being covered may result in a fine, so if you’re unsure, check your policy.

What risks does my business face? The potential risks you face will likely determine the covers making up your business insurance. For example, public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance are designed to cover the risks associated with injuring members of the public and providing contracts or giving advice, respectively.

What about risks to your assets, like tools and equipment or even your website and client data? If so, you might also consider a business insurance policy including business contents cover and cyber insurance.

Is business insurance a professional requirement? Some professional bodies may require you to have professional indemnity insurance, which can pay legal fees and compensation awarded to a client if they suffer a financial loss due to errors in your advice, work or services.

Depending on the type of work you do, your business insurance requirements will vary. There are three key things to think about when considering what cover you need for your business.

What our customers say

Types of business insurance

Not all businesses require the same range of cover. For example, some insurance can be a legal requirement in certain circumstances, like where you have people working for you. 

Also, your business insurance requirements may also depend on the type of work you do and the size and turnover of your business. 

The types of covers to consider when building your business insurance covers could include:

Employers’ liability insurance

If your business hires employees you’re likely to need employers’ liability insurance as this is a legal requirement for most employers. If a company does not have employers liability insurance, it can be fined at a rate of £2,500 for every day the company has traded without it.

Read more about employers' liability insurance

Public liability insurance

This is worth considering if people come to your premises or if your business involves in-person interaction with clients.

It covers you if a member of the public is injured or even killed as a result of your business activities or their property is damaged. 

Read more about public liability insurance

Professional indemnity insurance

If you provide professional advice, knowledge or skills as part of your work you should consider this type of insurance. If you’re sued for giving negligent advice or services, it could be costly and damage your reputation. 

Some professions, such as solicitors and accountants, are required to have it.

Read more about professional indemnity insurance

Business contents insurance

In the event that your business contents are damaged or lost due to fire, flooding, malicious damage, storm damage or theft, this can cover you for the cost of repairs or replacement. 

Make sure you include all your equipment – such as computers, laptops, phones, technical machinery, documents and even cash – when working out how much contents cover you need.

Cyber insurance

This provides protection against things like cyber attacks or accidental data breaches. It can also provide specialist technical, financial and communications support in the event of a cyber incident.

From ransomware attacks to accidental privacy breaches, the cost to your business can be devastating if you’re not insured.

D&O insurance

Directors’ and officers’ insurance, also known as management liability insurance, covers claims made personally against company directors and officers for wrongful acts, such as a breach of trust or misleading statements.

Without it, any directors and officers in your business may not be able to defend themselves against claims that could result in disqualification from their position, compensation and legal costs or criminal prosecution.

How do I get a quote for business insurance?

 Enter your details

Tell us a bit about your business – such as name, industry and turnover.

Compare covers

See how much different types of insurance would cost you.

Apply or save

Start your policy straight away, or save your personalised quote for 30 days.

How much does business insurance cost?
Insurance type*From*To
Public liability£4.67 £18.07
Professional indemnity£9.08£45.42
Employers' liability£1.86 £25.68
Building, contents and stock£6.84£50.37
Cyber£10.79 £43.65
Personal accident £0.55£4.75

*Superscript: 10% of Superscript customers paid this much, or less, between October and December 2023.

**Superscript: 90% of Superscript customers paid up to this much between October and December 2023.

These prices should only be used as a guide. When you get a quote, it will be tailored*** to your unique circumstances and risk profile – so you may be quoted a price that’s a bit higher or lower.

And as with most covers, price shouldn’t be your only priority. Cheaper insurance could end up costing you more if it doesn’t provide the cover you need. To get the best deal, look for insurers that allow you to tailor*** your policy to your needs so you're not left over- or under-insured.

Getting the insurance that's right for your business

You can buy cover immediately, or save your business insurance policy quote for 30 days using our quote builder.

How to make a claim on your business insurance

To make a claim, all you need to do it log in to your online customer account with Superscript.

Gather all relevant information about the incident that prompted the claim. This may include photographs, videos, witness statements, police reports (if applicable), and any other evidence that supports your claim. Be prepared to provide detailed information about the incident, including the date, time, location, and a description of what happened. You may also need to provide documentation such as receipts, invoices, or estimates for damages.

Once you've submitted the claim, the claims will get in touch to process your claim. How fast your claim is settled depends on how much your claim is amounting to. Smaller claims can be processed within hours or days. Larger claims could take longer.

Business insurance can provide a wealth of cover and support for almost every aspect of your business. If you couldn't run your business if your laptop was stolen, cover the costs of a claim because you accidentally forgot to credit someone else's photo on your website or replace a customers carpet because you inadvertently spilt paint on it - then business insurance is something you should be considering.
Business woman in shop / workshop

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance provides cover for legal and compensation costs in relation to a claim made against a business due to injury or property damage inflicted on a non-employee.

Employers' liability insurance

Employers’ liability (EL) is a legal requirement for UK businesses that hire employees, including full-time, part-time, contract or temporary staff. Exceptions include firms that only employ immediate family members or use bona fide sub-contractors.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance, or PI insurance, is designed to protect your businesses if a client loses money because of a mistake you made in your professional services.

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is a form of cover to protect you while you are away on holiday or travelling abroad. it can also provide monetary compensation for other loss or inconveniences you may suffer when your travels don't go to plan.

Get a business insurance quote

Open shop sign

***Individual cover purchased online is offered on a standardised, non-advised basis and is not bespoke. Terms, conditions and coverage limits are predetermined by the Underwriter. If you require bespoke coverage offered on an advised basis, please contact our in-house broking team.

Uswitch introduces customers to Enro Ltd t/a Superscript, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 656459). By using our online quote builder, you’ll be subject to Superscript's privacy and cookie policies.