logo-rebrandphone Skip to main content

Temporary van insurance

Find out about temporary van insurance and how it can help save you money.

Share this guide
Temporary van insurance

If you need a van to move to a new house or to transport equipment an annual van insurance policy might be too expensive. 

A cheaper solution is to borrow or hire a van and take out temporary van insurance. It is sometimes called short-term van insurance or one-day van insurance.

Compare temporary van insurance

Search for a range of short term van insurance quotes and deals with Uswitch and money.co.uk*

How long can I get temporary van insurance for?

If you are borrowing a van, you must have insurance. It’s a legal requirement to have insurance before getting on the road, whether you’re driving a car or a van. 

Temporary van insurance can come in particularly useful if you are moving home.

Rather than a standard annual policy, temporary van insurance means you can get short term cover, typically from 1-28 days to suit your needs.

Why you may need temporary van insurance

If you are borrowing a van, or using a van hire company, you may have some insurance in place, but it may not be enough to cover you if you are involved in an accident.

Borrowing from a friend and taking out temporary van insurance

If you’re borrowing a van from a friend, you could make sure you’re covered by being added to the owner’s insurance policy as a named driver, but if you’re involved in an accident this may affect their no claims bonus

  • Your own van insurance policy means you are covered without impacting on the owner’s no claims bonus

  • Temporary van insurance is likely to be a simpler option if you only plan to drive the van on a one-off basis

If you are already covered using a car insurance policy 

You may also be covered if you have ‘driving other cars’ cover on your main insurance policy. 

However, this type of cover is becoming less common, and it’s likely you will only be covered for third party damage when you drive the van. 

  • This means the insurer will not pay out for any damage to the vehicle you are driving, so the van’s owner could face a hefty repair bill and you might be expected to pay it

  • There are also exclusions in place for many policies - barring people under 25 or from certain professions (for example, builders) from using it

  • Temporary van insurance offers comprehensive cover without putting the van owner's no claims bonus at risk if you need to make a claim

Do I need temporary van insurance if I hire a van?

If you’re able to borrow a van, you could cut the hassle and cost of hiring a van or a removals company by getting insured on a friend’s vehicle.

But if you do not have this option you may decide to rent a van from a hire company. Insurance will usually be included within the hire price. 

  • Check that the level of cover isn’t just third party

  • You may need top up your cover to comprehensive with an additional short-term van insurance policy

Other reasons you may need temporary van insurance

You need a van to move things

Temporary van insurance might also be best if you plan to transport equipment, or if you want to share the driving on a longer job in a friend’s van.

You want to test drive a van 

Temporary van cover can also come in handy if you want to take a van you plan to purchase for a test drive, or for driving your new van home before securing an annual insurance policy.

How much does temporary van insurance cost?

If you can borrow a van from a friend, you can buy short-term insurance for it and it could be cheaper than hiring. The price will depend on how long you want to be covered, your licence type, your postcode and your driving experience. 

The cost of will depend on several things:

The cost of your cargo

Exactly what you are using the van for and the cargo you are carrying will also be key – and you will only be insured for the purpose and cargo you gave the insurer.

The excess you set

Like an annual insurance policy, you will have to pay an excess if you need to make a claim. 

  • When comparing temporary van insurance quotes, you will be able to select the voluntary excess you wish to pay

  • You may be able to cut the cost of your policy by opting for a higher excess fee, but be realistic and make sure you can afford to pay this charge if you need to make a claim

What do I need to get a temporary van insurance quote?

To compare temporary van insurance and buy a policy, you’ll need:

  • The van’s registration number (or the make and model if you’re not sure of the licence plate details)

  • You should also have details of your driving history and licence type to hand, as well as your name and address details

  • Don’t forget to get permission from the van owner before getting behind the wheel

Temporary van insurance – questions answered

Can everyone get temporary van insurance?

Drivers aged 19 to 75 can typically be covered by temporary van insurance, but some insurers may exclude drivers under the age of 25 so it’s important to shop around.

When might I find it difficult to get temporary van insurance?

You may find it more difficult to get temporary van cover if:

  • You have had several recent car insurance claims or more than six points on your licence

  • You’re unemployed or if you work in certain professions such as entertainment or delivery services — these restrictions will usually be listed on the terms and conditions when you get a quote

  • The value of the van exceeds a limit (normally £45,000) 

  • Or you are using a certain type of van, some vans such as refrigerated vans and tippers are excluded

Compare temporary van insurance

Search for a range of short term van insurance quotes and deals with Uswitch and money.co.uk*

Read more …

The temporary van insurance comparison service is provided by money.co.uk, which is a trading name of Dot Zinc Limited, registered in England (4093922) and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (415689). Registered address: The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London, England, SE1 2LH. By using this system you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.