Your cookie preferences

We use cookies and similar technologies. You can use the settings below to accept all cookies (which we recommend to give you the best experience) or to enable specific categories of cookies as explained below. Find out more by reading our Cookie Policy.

Select cookie preferences

Skip to main content

65% LTV mortgages

Tell us about yourself and our broker partner Mojo will find the best 65% mortgages for you

Compare 65% LTV mortgage deals from 90+ lenders across the whole of the market

Barclays 2
nationwide 2
Santander 2
Halifax 2
A logo for the mortgage lender Virgin Money
Accord Mortgages 2
NatWest 2
Man on laptop

What is a 65% LTV mortgage?

A 65% LTV mortgage is any mortgage where you borrow 65% of the property's value and put down the remaining 35% as a deposit.

The proportion of the property's value you're borrowing is known as the loan-to-value (LTV) which is why they're referred to a 65% LTV mortgage.

Mortgage rates are determined by the LTV of your borrowing and lenders typically set them at incremental thresholds, usually between around 60% and 100%. 65% LTV mortgage rates are typically fairly competitive, as borrowing a lower percentage of the property value is seen as less risky by the lender.

How do 65% LTV mortgages work?

For a 65% LTV mortgage, you would pay a deposit worth 35%, and borrow the remaining 65% from a mortgage lender

For example, if you’re buying a £200,000 property, you would need a deposit of £70,000 so would be borrowing £130,000.

The table shows the different deposit amounts you'd need for a 65% LTV mortgage for different property prices.

Property valueDeposit amount (35%)Mortgage loan amount (65%)

Is 65% LTV a good ratio?

A 65% LTV ratio is seen as quite low, which usually means you’ll be able to access lower interest rates for your mortgage compared to mortgages with a higher LTV - meaning smaller monthly mortgage repayments.

If you can’t repay your mortgage, as a last resort the lender will have to repossess the property to sell it and get its money back. The lower the LTV the more chance there is that the lender will be able to get enough money to clear the loan. A lower LTV therefore takes away some of the risk for the lender.

Owning a larger proportion of a property is also beneficial as it means you can borrow less, which reduces the amount you'll have to pay in interest overall. To find the best 65% LTV mortgage rates, it's a good idea to compare mortgages across the market set at this loan to value ratio.

How to choose the best 65% LTV mortgage for me

Tell us about yourself

Fill in your details to help us understand your mortgage situation and select the right options for you.

Get recommendations

Get personalised mortgage recommendations that are suited to your individual needs.

Secure your deal

Our broker partner Mojo offers expert mortgage advice and can help secure the best mortgage deal for you.

Our best 65% LTV mortgage rates

This table shows some of our best 65% LTV deals. Loan-to-value (LTV) is the amount you borrow compared to the value of the property. This is based on initial fixed-rate deals of two or five years. The rate you pay therefore stays the same throughout the duration of the introductory deal period (in this case two or five years).

Also included is the Annual Percentage Rate of Change (APRC) - which can be seen in brackets next to each initial rate. APRC helps you to compare deals taking fees and the lender's standard variable rate (SVR) into consideration.

Although you're automatically moved onto the SVR after the introductory period - many people choose to remortgage onto another deal , rather than moving onto the SVR. The APRC cannot predict the remortgage rate, so will no longer be accurate.

2-year fixed5-year fixed
Barclays Bank - 4.78% (8.2% APRC)Virgin Money - 4.42% (7.4% APRC)
Barclays Bank - 4.8% (8.2% APRC)Halifax - 4.51% (7.1% APRC)
Halifax - 4.9% (8.3% APRC)NatWest - 4.52% (6.9% APRC)
Yorkshire Building Society - 4.94% (7.23% APRC)Virgin Money - 4.52% (7.4% APRC)


Whether you are eligible for a mortgage deal or not depends on your circumstances. Be sure to check any product fees as well as the initial rate as these can sometimes make deals more expensive.

Date Updated 3 December 2023

Am I eligible for a 65% mortgage?

To be eligible for a 65% LTV mortgage the main thing you'll need is a 35% deposit - which you'll normally need to prove came from an approved source.

On top of this, you'll need to meet the lender's other criteria to be successful in your mortgage application.

The main criteria includes:

  • Annual income (you can usually borrow up to around 4.5 times this)

  • Expenditure - lenders normally look at your outgoings to check you can afford repayments

  • Credit history

  • Age - you have to be between the minimum and maximum age requirements, which varies from one lender to the next

Can I get a 65% LTV mortgage with bad credit?

Having a larger deposit will definitely go in your favour if you're looking to get a mortgage with credit issues.

However, whilst it may help, having a 35% deposit won't necessarily guarantee you a mortgage. Whether the lender accepts your application will depend on the severity of your credit issues and other eligibility criteria.

Speaking to a mortgage broker can help if you have bad credit, as they can offer advice on which lenders are more likely to accept you.

What 65% LTV mortgage rates are there?

With mortgages, there are two main types of interest rate - fixed and variable.

Fixed rate mortgages

If you opt for a fixed rate mortgage, your interest rate will remain the same for the duration of the deal (often two, five or 10 years, but you can get longer deals).

The main benefit is that your monthly repayments won't rise throughout the duration of the deal, making it easier for you to budget appropriately and make sure you can afford the mortgage. However, if interest rates were to fall, you wouldn't benefit from lower monthly payments.

Variable rate mortgages

There are three types of variable rate mortgage; tracker, discount and SVR (standard variable rate). The main thing to be aware of with variable-rate mortgage deals is that your interest rate could change substantially at any time, even if you're within an initial deal period.

Variable rates of interest can be lower than fixed rates, due to the greater risk involved with using them.

Advantages of 65% LTV mortgages

  • A 65% LTV mortgage is seen as a low loan to value ratio so you'll generally be offered better rates and deals

  • You'll need to borrow less, compared to a higher LTV mortgage, so you'll pay less interest over the course of the full mortgage term

  • You're less likely to fall into negative equity than if you borrow a higher percentage of the property value

Disadvantages of 65% LTV mortgages

  • It might be quite difficult to save up a 35% deposit

  • You may be able to access slightly better deals if you can raise a 40% deposit, as even the best 65% LTV mortgages are unlikely to compare with a 60% LTV mortgage

  • If you're putting all your savings into a 35% deposit, you may not have the funds available for home improvements or an emergency

Kellie Steedquotation mark
A 65% (35% deposit) mortgage will give you access to better interest rates than lower deposit mortgages. However, the absolute cheapest deals can usually be found if you have a 40% deposit
Kellie Steed, Mortgage Content Writer


Uswitch is not a mortgage intermediary and makes introductions to Mojo Mortgages to provide mortgage solutions.

Uswitch and Mojo Mortgages are part of the same group of companies. Uswitch Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference number 312850. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA website.

Uswitch Limited is registered in England and Wales (Company No 03612689) The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London SE1 2LH.

Mojo Mortgages is a trading style of Life's Great Limited which is registered in England and Wales (06246376). Mojo are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and are on the Financial Services Register (478215)

Mojo’s registered office is The Cooperage, 5 Copper Row, London, SE1 2LH, and head office is WeWork No. 1 Spinningfields, Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3JE. To contact Mojo by phone, please call 0333 123 0012.

Last updated: 06 September 2023