closedownarrowexternal-linklogo-verticalmenu-barsearch Skip to main content
Jump to navigation
TalkTalk Logo 2017 blue

TalkTalk has expressed its disgust at new plans to make internet service providers (ISPs) contribute to the costs of reprimanding illegal filesharers.

The broadband provider, which has firmly opposed the provisions of the Digital Economy Act from the start, says it is "outraged" at the government decision that ISPs must pay a quarter of the costs of sending out warning letters.

Under the terms of the legislation, customers who are believed to have been downloading copyrighted material must be sent notices to warn them of the consequences of continuing to do so.

And following a government consultation, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills has ruled that copyright holders are liable for 75 per cent of the costs incurred, and ISPs the remaining 25 per cent.

Andrew Heaney, TalkTalk's Executive Director of Strategy and Regulation, commented: "The Digital Economy Act means many innocent customers will be falsely accused of filesharing and put on an 'offenders register' though they have broken no law and now they are being forced to pay for the privilege.

"Far from encouraging a more digitally inclusive nation, these measures will simply alienate web users. Moreover, they don't tackle the root cause of the problem - the creative industry's failure to adapt its business model to the 21st century."

Join the conversation

comments powered by Disqus

Stay up to date

  • Google+ Follow uSwitchTech
  • Subscribe to our RSS feed

Latest Comments

Search news